Common Mistakes Parents Make With Their Childs TeethPublished 04/29/2015
A parent’s primary focus is to make sure their child is healthy and safe. When it comes to keeping their baby’s oral health, developing good hygiene habits at an early age is key. It’s no secret that brushing daily and visiting the dentist regularly is very important. However, there are a few common mistakes parents may not be aware of that can be harmful to their child’s teeth.
Delaying Visits to the Dentist
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends visiting the dentist within the first year. Baby teeth are very important in a child’s development as they are like spacers for their permanent teeth. Visiting the dentist even before their first tooth comes in will help identify any issues and allow your child to become comfortable visiting the dentist early on. Regular visits are important at any age as it allows your family dentist to examine for any potential issues and also do a thorough cleaning to remove excess plaque that regular brushing can miss.
Prolonged Use of Sippy Cups and Baby Bottles
Sipping juice or even milk for long periods can lead to tooth decay because the gums and teeth are exposed to sugar and bacteria for long periods. Bottles at bedtime are especially harmful as there is not enough saliva produced during sleep to wash away sugar and acid. It is best to have your child finish their drink then brush and rinse before bedtime. For babies you can wipe their gums and teeth with a wash cloth.
Not Brushing With Their Child
Although toddlers love to exercise their independence, when it comes to brushing children's dentist recommended parents supervise them until they can do it properly on their own. This is a great time to show them how to brush properly and also brush after them to make sure it’s done thoroughly. It may take some creativity to get them to comply so try making it fun with music or by taking turns brushing each other’s teeth.
- There are currently no posts made in 2017/2018, please check back later!
- Dec. 2014 - Maximize Your Dental Benefits Before December 31st!
- Nov. 2014 - Why You Should Never Delay Dental Treatment
- Oct. 2014 - Teeth-Friendly Halloween Ideas
- Sept. 2014 - Dental Sealants for Children's Teeth
- Aug. 2014 - Is Your Child Missing School Due To Dental Issues?
- July 2014 - When To Wean Kids From Pacificers, Sippy-Cups, Etc.
- June 2014 - Summertime Snacks That Brighten Your Smile
- May 2014 - Health Problems Tied To Gum Disease
- Mar. 2014 - What Parents Should Know About Fluoride
- Feb. 2014 - Children's Dental Health Month
- Dec. 2013 - 7 New Year’s Resolutions For A Healthier Smile
- Nov. 2013 - Use Your Dental Insurance Before The New Year
- Oct. 2013 - Halloween Tips For Treats
- Oct. 2013 - Honored To Serve Our Military
- Sept. 2013 - Baby Tooth Decay: It's Possible & Preventable
- Aug. 2013 - Help Your Child Overcome Fear Of Dentists
- July 2013 - Dental Sealants: What Parents Should Know
- June 2013 - Toddler Teeth Brushing: 6 Fun Tips!